For this purpose I have sewn up a couple of happy spring bunny skirts. Casual enough for comfort and cute enough for holiday flair.
I opted for bright colors. The orange and turquoise are fun alternatives to the usual pink and yellow. Starting out as a long rectangular piece of fabric,this simple skirt takes shape with an elastic waist and hemmed edge.
For the appliqued bunnies,I ironed on some pellon to a piece of white felt.
In order to keep my felt piece clean,I traced my bunny shape onto the back of the pellon paper.
I then peeled the paper off of the back of the felt and transfered my bunnies onto my fabric using a hot iron.
Sewing around the shape of the bunny ensured durability to the piece. I enjoyed hand embroidering the eyes and neckties.
{It was faster work than I had anticipated. All bunnies done in one sitting.}
I also added a ribbon down the front side of the skirt to conceal the seam.
And a bow in the front to mark the middle of the skirt. {This skirt is longer on her because it is meant for her big sister. The above skirt is the correct length.}
I particularly like the hot pink ballet slippers. They add an individual pop of style to the outfit. Don't you think?
{I couldn't get her to wear her white dress shoes...she insisted on the pink:)}
Happy Sewing.
Aloha!
~Christie
What lovely skirts with the ever so cute bunnies!!! Clever idea to hide the seam with the ribbon.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I loved embroidering the bunnies. Too fun!
DeleteHow fun! Cute bunnies. Way to go! Thanks for joining the link party too! Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteCheri
Mahalo! Luv to see all the creativity in the linky party. Luv your blog.
DeleteAloha!
omg this is so freaking cute. I'm gonna have to try it on my little one ^_^
ReplyDeletecraftingforbliss.blogspot.com
Yes, it's super simple. Thanks!
DeleteThese are so stinkin' adorable! Thanks for linking to Sew Crafty Saturday! Shared this on Wildflower and Whimsy's Twitter & FB page!
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteMahalo for posting!
ReplyDeleteHi, LOVE...LOVE the bunnies, thank you for the great idea!!! This is super cute, thank you for sharing!! Tried posting my pic of how mine turned out, but it doesn't seem to work!!
ReplyDeleteMy daughter really loved her skirt!
Thanks. Oh, I wish I could see it! My daughters are wearing their skirts for a second time in a row. It's always nice when I sew something up and they actually want to wear it! Happy Easter. Aloha.
DeleteHi Christie, I featured your Bunny Skirts today...
ReplyDeletehttp://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/04/threading-your-way-features.html
Mahalo for featuring my bunny skirts. I luv all the sewing projects on your blog. Sew fun!
DeleteThank you for featuring my project. You have such a creative blog!
ReplyDeleteSO CUTE! I featured these skirts today at scrappy saturdays @ Candace creations
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I enjoy visiting your blog. Happy Easter!
Delete