"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Friday, January 28, 2011

Humor me, if you will...

  You may very well laugh at this little confession I am about to share with you. Whether it be out of humor or absurdity, well, that is for you to decide. I have a  little secret in which I have been keeping for over a decade. I am now ready to share it. It begins like this.
  For the past decade or so my family and I have gone to the public library at least twice a month to borrow monstrous amounts of books. We average at about 25 to 30 books in a visit. Of course, I foster my family's love of books and reading and I am more than happy to let them borrow to their hearts content. But, when those books arrive home and topple out of the library bag one cannot help to notice the dirt and grime that have come along with them. Upon inspection there may be unidentifiable marks of grime and goo in which you could only use your imagination to figure out what in the world it just might be. You think it may be dirt, food, oily grime, maybe a boogie?!!! Eek, eek, eek.
  So, this is my little secret. My secret community service. For the last decade or so I have been cleaning ALL of the books we borrow!!!! hahaha....yes, laugh if you may, but... it is true. My love for books has extended to this point. My tools of the trade include and organic spray cleaner, paper towels, and sometimes it even needs the amazing power of a magic eraser. Now, now, now...don't you worry...I am not that eccentric. I do NOT clean the pages. I only clean the book covers and I am very careful in doing so. But, I have to admit...that is a lot of books!
  Okay, so now that you know this about me you can rest easy to know that at least someone cares enough to clean the library books, even if the service goes unnoticed. And even though there are those times when I feel a bit embarrassed to borrow monstrous loads of books, in which the librarian has to individually scan, I smile. Because I am serving my community in a small but helpful way. And, I am relieved when the librarian sees the look on my face and knowingly says, " Don't worry about it. Books are our business." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Labels

I believe that every person is born with talent.
Maya Angelou